This is a bit of a different style of post for me but, since I’ve been cooking a lot at home this week and seem to have accumulated a backlog of kitchen plates held up against our rather pretty garden path on my camera roll, I may as well do something a bit creative with them rather than drip feeding them to Instagram! So, here are just a few examples of some of the meals I’ve had this past week.
“In my world there is no fear or guilt; just joy and balance” – Ellie Krieger
Prepp’d kindly send me some more of their dishes to try this week and so some of these plates I can’t take *all* the credit for! I’ve included the macros for each of these meals, purely so you can see how great their service can be in helping you reach your own fitness goals. I’m not counting my macros right now and in all honesty, deleting MFP is probably the best thing I’ve done for myself in the last few months. The weights are still going up in the gym, yet I’m making more intuitive food choices based on micronutrients and what I actually WANT to eat. But anyway, that’s a WHOLE other blog post! Let’s get into the good stuff.
380kcal | 35C | 35 P | 13F
Almond Milk, Wholemeal Bread, Eggs, Whey Protein, Apples, Coconut Oil, Cinnamon, Stevia
Ok, so I have a serious obsession with french toast – it always feels like such a treat and if it’s on a brunch menu, I can’t say no. For all it’s deliciousness, it can actually be made using very little fat and is a great go-to breakfast if you want something indulgent that also doubles up to hit your macro goals. The Prepp’d French Toast is beautiful and has such a marshmallow-y texture even when it’s been re-heated in the microwave. I topped it with some frozen berries and hazelnuts.
QUINOA SALSA CHICKEN SALAD
380kcal | 34C | 49P | 8F
Chicken Breast, Quinoa, Salsa Sauce, Sweetcorn, Onion, Jalepenos, Bell Peppers, Olive Oil
For lunches this week I grabbed a couple of Prepp’d meals from the freezer. This is where their service really comes into its own for me as it saves preparing the night before and I can simply heat them up for lunch at work. This quinoa number is jam packed full of protein and brimming with flavour.
CHICKEN IN WHITE WINE SAUCE
Again, another Prepp’d dish that is super tasty. This chicken has a very *Italian* vibe to it and the white wine sauce, with tomatoes and a touch of cheese, made it feel really indulgent. I had some veg in the fridge I needed to use up, so I roasted some parsnips, red cabbage and carrots to have alongside it for some extra micros.
POACHED CHICKEN ROAST DINNER
It has been deceptively cold in Manchester this week and I found myself craving a heart-warming roast dinner last Sunday to sit down with and watch the season finale of Poldark! I poached a couple of chicken breasts with garlic and rosemary (my new favourite way to cook chicken – it’s soo succulent) and roasted up LOADS of veg. We had honey-roasted parsnips, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli and my Mum’s braised red cabbage. Weirdly, this is my no.1 element of a roast dinner; made with cabbage, apple, red wine, cloves, cinnamon and red onion. Unfortunately I didn’t have any gravy(!), but other than that it was all delish.
PARCEL COOKED SALMON & LENTILS
This is my absolute favourite way to cook salmon and another one of the many recipes I have learnt from my Mum. Drizzle a salmon fillet with some fresh lemon juice and garnish with ginger, red onion, salt and pepper. Wrap it in baking paper to create a small parcel and bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes. LUSH. With it, I warmed up some Merchant Gourmet lentils and once again, roasted up loads of veg. Can you tell I’m having a bit of a red cabbage moment?!
VEGETABLE CURRY & BLACK BEAN SPAGHETTI
If you’re yet to try Explore Asian’s Black Bean or Edamame Spaghetti, you’ve got to get your hands on some ASAP. One serving contains 25g of protein. IT BLOWS MY MIND. I served it alongside a vegetable curry, made up of chickpeas, sweet potato, red onion, peppers, peas, courgette and tinned tomatoes, all seasoned with a host of warming herbs and spices.
CHOCOLATE ORANGE BROWNIE
Egg White, Yogurt, Micellar Casein, Sunflower Seeds, Cocoa Powder, Whey Protein, Baking Powder.
I have an infamous sweet tooth and will almost always reach for something to satisfy it from the fridge after dinner. My desserts don’t always look quite this fancy however; this is another Prepp’d creation. I topped this high protein brownie with some Coyo natural yoghurt, frozen berries and a sprinkle of bee pollen. NOM.
So – those are the highlights of my week in food. This is purely a condensed snapshot; I try to eat like this 80% of the time and am *somewhat* more indulgent for the other 20%! All of the meals I made myself are prepared with simple ingredients that you can buy at your local supermarket, so at the very least I hope they provide some din-spiration!